“Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.”
“Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the King will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’” MATTHEW 25:34-40
Service Hour Requirements
Students are required to complete a set number of service hours each year. The first set of hours, 15 hours, should be completed after Service Night during Freshman year and are due no later than Sophomore orientation. The second set of hours, 30 hours, must be turned in no later than Junior orientation. The third set of hours, 30 hours, must be turned in no later than Senior orientation. With the completion of hours each year, a student will have completed 75 hours of service prior to the start of Senior year.
In addition, ALL students will be required to complete a reflection portion each year when hours are due. This will be assigned to each student in their respective Theology classes. The reflection portion will help the students process what they have learned from their acts of service to the disadvantaged people they have served. Fulfilling the minimum number of service hours each year is required to graduate from John Carroll Catholic High School.
Guidelines for Service
A student may choose any service organization as long as the organization allows the student to fulfill the following:
a) Directly serve disadvantaged people
b) Complete at least the minimum number hours of service in one year with that same service organization.
A student may choose a service organization from the Service Booklet or a student may apply for permission from the Campus Minister to work with an alternative organization using the request form at the end of this booklet. Prior to beginning service at an organization not included in this booklet, students need to obtain permission from the Campus Minister. Students may choose a different approved service organization each year. Students must record service hours on the Service Hours Report form and turn in the form with the Supervisor’s Report to the Campus Ministry office. All forms can be found at the end of this booklet.
Overview of Expectations
- Attend Service Night in October of Freshman Year
- Choose a service organization that will allow the student to complete at least 15 hours during an academic year and will allow the student to directly serve disadvantaged people.
- Begin Sophomore service hours after Service Night
- Complete and turn in the Service Hours Report and the Supervisor’s Report to the Campus Ministry office no later than Sophomore Orientation
- Complete 30 service hours, which were begun at the beginning of Sophomore year, for the academic year and record all hours on the Service Hours Report form.
- Complete and turn in the Service Hours Report and the Supervisor’s Report to the Campus Ministry office no later than Junior Orientation
- Complete 30 service hours, which were begun at the beginning of Junior year, for the academic year and record all hours on the Service Hours Report form
- Complete and turn in the Service Hours Report and the Supervisor’s Report to the Campus Ministry office no later than Senior Orientation
- Determine and ensure all service hour requirements have been fulfilled and turned in to the Campus Ministry office no later than Senior Orientation
Failure to complete these requirements will leave you subject to disciplinary action at the discretion of the Campus Minister, Dean of Students, and Principal. The disciplinary actions a student will be subject to include the student not being allowed to participate in extra-curricular activities, not be given a report card for the current academic year, not be allowed to enroll for the next academic year, and/or mandatory unexcused absence from school until these requirements are filled.