Why Choose John Carroll?
John Carroll Catholic High School is a Catholic school that calls its students, faculty, parents, and alumni into an active partnership for learning. We value the development of the whole person through spiritual growth, academics, the arts, athletics, and discipline in the context of a Christ-centered environment. Together, we strive to deepen our sense of conviction that our faith in God can bring about a just world.
- Founded in 1947 and is a member school of the Diocese of Birmingham
- Settled and thrived on Highland Avenue in Birmingham, AL; moved to Lakeshore Parkway in 1992
- A co-educational college preparatory school with an enrollment of approximately 550 students
- Motto: Pro Deo Et Patria
- Colors: Kelly Green and White
- Mascot: The Cavalier
- Accredited: AdvancedEd
- Member: National Catholic Education Association; Alabama High School Athletic Association
- Every day at John Carroll, we begin and end the school day with prayer.
- Students attend Mass every Thursday.
- On each first Friday, students spend time in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and have the opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Annual retreats for all classes off-campus each school year.
- Seniors have the opportunity to attend a 4-day retreat called Kairos where they grow in knowledge and love of self, others, and God.
- Each January, John Carroll takes a group of students to Washington, D.C. for the March for Life.
- Our students practice their faith by engaging in our service program by completing 75 community service hours before graduation.
- John Carroll is proud to have many alumni active in vocation formation.
- The Class of 2018 was awarded over $11 million in academic scholarships and grants.
- Average class size is 16/1.
- Academic Placement – Academic, College Prep, Honors
- Competes in class 6A of the Alabama High School Athletic Association.
- Football, volleyball, cross country, basketball, track, soccer, softball, baseball, golf, and club lacrosse.
- For more information, please visit our Athletics home page.
- John Carroll is respected for its fall drama production, spring musical, Marching Band, Honors Chorus, Chamber Choir, Men’s and Women’s Choir, and jazz band.
- John Carroll will become a 1:1 school at the start of the 2018-19 school year, please visit our Technology page.
- Mac lab in the Library.
- Mac lab for Journalism, Graphic Design, and Yearbook classes.
A DIVERSE COMMUNITY
John Carroll’s approximately 460 students come from more than twenty communities throughout the Birmingham region. The students represent all ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. There are nine Catholic elementary partner schools and over fifteen transfer high schools represented.