Why John Carroll?
- Founded in 1947 and is a member school of the Diocese of Birmingham
- Settled and thrived on Highland Avenue in Birmingham, AL; moved to Lakeshore Parkway in 1992
- A co-educational college preparatory school with an enrollment of approximately 500 students
- Motto: Pro Deo Et Patria
- Colors: Green and White
- Mascot: The Cavalier
- Accredited: AdvancedEd
- Member: National Catholic Education Association; Alabama High School Athletic Association
At John Carroll we have the great and unique responsibility to serve not only the academic needs but also the religious and spiritual needs of our students. As a Catholic school, John Carroll is guided by the educational mission of the Catholic Church however, we are proud to welcome a number of students from other faith traditions into our community.
- We begin and end the school day with prayer.
- Students attend Mass every Thursday.
- Each first Friday, students spend time in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and have the opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Annual retreats for all classes off-campus each school year.
- Seniors have the opportunity to attend a 4-day retreat called Kairos where they grow in knowledge and love of self, others, and God.
- Each January, John Carroll takes a group of students to Washington, D.C. for the March for Life.
- Our students practice their faith by engaging in our service program by completing 75 community service hours before graduation.
- John Carroll is proud to have many alumni active in vocation formation.
John Carroll students consistently achieve well above the state and national averages in many academic categories; including the 18 Advanced Placement (AP) classes we offer, and on the ACT. We are proud to have a graduate in the Class of 2020 who achieved a perfect score of 36 on the ACT, and the AP test results for the 2019-2020 school year show John Carroll students out performing state and global averages at a very high rate.
Three important benchmarks for the most current AP tests include 35 students achieving AP Scholar, and one of whom earning the highest designation of National AP Scholar. Additionally, John Carroll had a 100% pass rate in Calculus (JCCHS 100%, State 40.5%) and an 85.2% pass rate in US History (JCCHS 85.2%, State 43.1%).
Not only are John Carroll students challenged to excel in the classroom, they are given the opportunity to have a well-rounded high school experience that includes participation in one or more of our 22 competitive AHSAA sponsored athletic teams, through our 30+ student run clubs and organizations, through the high quality visual and performing arts programs, and through service to our school community, as well as the Greater Birmingham community. Opportunity knows no bounds when it comes to the experience of our students and the impact it has on their future.
- For more information about our athletics programs, please visit our Athletics home page.
- John Carroll is respected for its annual drama production and musical, marching band, honors chorus, chamber choir, men’s and women’s choir, and jazz band.
- John Carroll is a 1:1 Chromebook school, please visit our Technology page.
- Mac lab in the Library.
- Mac lab for Journalism, Broadcast Journalism, Graphic Design, and Yearbook classes.
- Windows PC lab for Computer Applications, E-sports and Gaming Club
A DIVERSE COMMUNITY
John Carroll’s students come from more than twenty communities throughout the Birmingham region. The students represent all ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. There are five Catholic Partner Schools and over fifteen transfer high schools represented.