"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up as you are already doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11
About the JCCHS Department of Academic Support
The John Carroll Department of Academic Support believes that learning should be an active partnership. Through interactions with teachers, parents, peers and support personnel, students learn that they are able to be successful in the face of adversity. In order to become independent, student must:
- Understand their strengths and challenges
- Learn how to use their strengths and access necessary resources in order to overcome their challenges
- Collaborate effectively with peers and adults
- Set personal goals
- Advocate for themselves
Any John Carroll student who has been diagnosed with a learning disability, medical disability, physical disability or psychological disability is eligible to receive JCCHS approved accommodations, provided the following criteria are met:
- Testing documentation is current (within the last three years) and the school has a copy of the full evaluation.
- Diagnostic documentations must consist of testing and a written evaluation by a licensed psychologist or educational specialist. It must state the specific disability as diagnosed and provide a complete educational, developmental, and/or medical history.
Please note - A note from a doctor stating there is a learning difference is not sufficient documentation of a learning disability.
Personalized Educational Plan
Accommodations provided will be individualized to the needs of each student in the program. Accommodations available include but are not limited to:
- Additional time to complete tests
- Using a computer for tests or to take notes
- Test questions read aloud
- Note-taking assistance
- Preferential seating classes
About Ginny McMillan - Academic Support Counselor
Mrs. McMillan is a 1997 graduate from JCCHS. She earned a BS in biochemistry from Missouri University of Science and Technology and a masters in school counseling from St. Louis University. She has been the Academic Support Counselor at JCCHS since 2009 and was the head volleyball coach for 3 seasons. She was also a volleyball assistant under Coach Frances Crapet for 8 seasons. Mrs. McMillan can be reached at email@example.com.